Helping children be safe and confident explorers of the online world
To make the most of the internet, children need to make smart decisions. Be Internet Legends empowers younger children to use the web safely and wisely, so they can be confident explorers of the online world.
The Internet Legends Code
Be Internet Sharp
Think Before You Share
Good (and bad) news travels fast online, and children can sometimes find themselves in tricky situations with lasting consequences. But what can they do to prevent this? The answer: understand how to share smartly with those they know – and those they don’t.
Every Word Matters
- Treat online communication the same as face-to-face communication.
- If it isn’t right to say, it isn’t right to post. If in doubt, get guidance on what kind of communication is (and isn’t) OK.
- Personal details about family, friends – and yourself – should stay private.
Be Internet Alert
Check It's For Real
People and situations online aren’t always what they seem. Internet Legends know how to tell the difference between what’s real and what’s not.
Spot the Signs of a Scam
- If messages about 'winning' or getting something for 'free' feel too good to be true, they probably are.
- Things getting too personal? Ask yourself, why would someone have private information about you?
- Always think critically before doing anything online – and learn to trust your intuition. Be on your guard for phishing attempts – which are efforts to steal information (such as login or account details) by pretending to be someone you know in an email, text, or other forms of online communication.
Be Internet Secure
Protect Your Stuff
Personal privacy and security are as important online as they are in the real world. Keeping valuable information safe helps children avoid damaging their devices, reputations and relationships.
Create a Strong Password
- Make it memorable, but don't use personal information, such as names or birthdays.
- Use a mix of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, symbols and numbers.
- R3pl@ce le++ers wit# sYmb0ls & n^mb3rs 1ike Thi$.
Switch It Up
- Never use the same password on different sites.
- Create a few different variations of the same password for different accounts.
Be Internet Kind
Respect Each Other
The internet amplifies everything: good things seem more exciting, bad things seem much worse and can hurt – a lot. A great rule to live by online, as well as off, is ‘treat others as you would like to be treated yourself’. Children can have a positive impact on others and stop bullying in its tracks by refusing to join in.
Set an Example
- Be a force for good. Use the power of the internet to be nice, not nasty.
- Stop the spread of harmful or untrue messages by not passing them on to others.
- Respect others’ differences.
Lead the way
- Block mean, upsetting or inappropriate behaviour online.
- Be a Legend. Step in and provide support to those being bullied.
- Encourage everyone to speak up against, and report, online bullying.
Be Internet Brave
When in Doubt, Discuss
When children come across something they're not sure about online, they should feel comfortable talking to a trusted adult. Adults can support this by showing they're open to talking, even about difficult or embarrassing things at home and in the classroom.
Encourage Legendary Behaviour
- Set clearly defined family or classroom rules and expectations around technology, and let children know of any consequences there might be for inappropriate use.
- Rather than having one big 'internet safety conversation', keep the dialogue going by encouraging children to ask questions whenever they want.
- Encourage children to talk to other trusted adults such as teachers, family friends or relatives as well.
Tools & Resources
Watch the Legends Family Adventure
Go on a thrilling quest through Interland with our short animated series. Learn important internet safety lessons along the way and enjoy fun activities for the whole family.Watch now
Order curriculum, digital wellbeing module and teacher toolkit
If you are a primary school teacher in the UK, you can download the free of charge Be Internet Legends curriculum directly from the Parent Zone Website, alongside the Digital Wellbeing module and a toolkit with further advice and guidance on how to use the new curriculumOrder now
Download lesson plans for teachers
Teachers can download the Be Internet Legends curriculum to use in class.Download
Be Internet Legends code for parents
Parents can get involved at home by encouraging the entire family to follow the Legends Code together.Download
Children can become Internet Legends with Interland, an online adventure that teaches the key lessons of internet safety through four fun, challenging games.Play Now
Experts in internet safety
We worked with experts in internet safety to ensure that every element of the programme addresses the things families and teachers need to know.